In 2013 the Dubai Municipality issued circular (196), which mandated the use of BIM (Building Information Modelling) for architectural and MEP work on certain projects. This was subsequently widened by circular (207) in 2015 to include architectural and mechanical works for:
- buildings that are above 20 floors;
- buildings, facilities and compounds with areas larger than 200 thousand square foot;
- buildings and special facilities like hospitals and universities;
- governmental projects; and
- projects by foreign offices.